We’ve all had them. Bad weeks in the voice over business.
Those weeks when you submit all kinds of auditions and demos and nothing seems to stick. Weeks when your best clients don’t need you or opt to use another talent on a project. Weeks when nothing seems to be going your way.
There are two ways to deal with those weeks. You can either wallow in self pity and lose all confidence and respect for yourself as a voice talent… an option I don’t recommend. Or you can find something that will make you smile and leave your worries and woes behind.
10 Free Ways To Forget A Bad Week
1) Past Projects: When’s the last time you went through your portfolio? Think of your five best voice over gigs. Now, go find the audio (or video) and relive those great successes. Remember… you’re good enough!
2) Dive into your DVD’s: What’s your favourite funny movie? When I need to laugh I dive into my DVD collection and pull out Ghostbusters or Smokey and the Bandit or Home Alone. Sure fire ways to get me smiling.
3) Spend an afternoon with a kid: Do you have children? Do you have nieces or nephews? Do you have friends with kids? Seeing the world through the eyes of children is a great way to change your perspective! Go play, just for the fun of it.
4) Sunshine and fresh air: Go for a walk. Not just down the street. Drive to a park or a conservation area. Get out in nature. Hike! Take in the sunset. Sit on the beach and listen to the waves. Breath in the scent of the trees. Escape technology for a while. You’re sure to find a smile.
5) Help a colleague: We all know people who are starting out in this business. We all remember what it’s like to be there. Take some time to chat with a newcomer. Listen to their demos and offer constructive feedback. Answer their questions. Encourage them. Investing in others is always a good investment for your own soul!
6) Work on a hobby: What’s your escape from the studio? Painting? Woodworking? Writing? Scrapbooking? Everybody needs to have a hobby to bring balance into their life. Having a bad week? Take an afternoon off and devote it to that thing you love.
7) Read the comics: I have a couple of The Far Side books on my shelf. No matter what is going on in my life, those comics always make laugh! Grab the comics from your local paper or search your favourite one out online.
8) Exercise: I never really want to get my butt on the treadmill. But whenever I do, I always get off it feeling better. Create a playlist of your favourite songs, put your headphones on and run. Or lift weights. Or do yoga. Whatever your exercise of choice is. You’ll definitely feel better!
9) Plan a trip: I know, I said free. Well… planning doesn’t cost a dime. I love to travel and when I get thinking about my next adventure it always makes me smile. It’s also a fantastic motivator for me to get back on the horse, or, into the studio, as it were, and get back to business!
10) YouTube Wipeout: Seriously… is there anything funnier in this life than watching other people fall down? I don’t think so!