Who wouldn’t love to spend a couple days in Las Vegas? Especially if you’re a Canadian. In Southern Ontario. Where there’s currently a Freezing Rain Warning in effect. And the temps have barely climbed above the freezing point in, oh, say, five or six months!
Yeah. Vegas sounds pretty awesome right about now.
I’ve wanted to make the trek to WoVOCon 2 ever since I first heard about it. There was one big thing holding me back. The exchange rate. Now is not a great time to be a Canadian traveling to the U.S, at a cost of about $0.25 on the dollar!
So I put if off. “Maybe next year,” I told myself. All the while, still wanting to be able to attend.
To Go Or Not To Go…
Sunday night I didn’t sleep hardly a wink. All I could think about was the impending deadline for conference registration. I also couldn’t ignore the nagging feeling in my gut that going was the right thing to do.
Monday night I returned home from a training session at the fire hall and immediately sat down with my Macbook. I started shopping for flights. I was looking for the best possible deal I could find on the hotel (Hilton Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa). I was calculating currency conversions, pricing out travel insurance, and guesstimating how much cash I’d need for the weekend.
Then I registered for WoVOCon 2 (with less than an hour to spare). As soon as I did… I felt total peace. I knew I had made the right decision. Everything else, from here on out, I believed, will sort itself out. One way or another.
The Pieces Fall Into Place
Things immediately began to sort themselves out.
First up… as I was preparing to enter my credit card to pay the conference fee, I received a PayPal deposit (in USD) from a client. That payment covered more than half the registration, which saved me a bunch on exchange for the remaining balance. Awesome!
As it turned out, I was able to redeem Aeroplan miles I’ve been saving for a couple years. Sure, I’m taking some less than stellar red eye flights, and making connections at half the airports in America… but that only adds to the excitement of the adventure! Plus… thanks to those miles, I’m flying First Class! Total cost… $38!!
Next up was the hotel. Thanks to a rather timely promotion from Hotels.com (whom I’ve happily used for years), I was able to score a sweet deal on a great room and it was in Canadian funds. No exchange required! Approximate savings on room and exchange… $150.
Sometimes God is waiting for us to take the first step. Once we do, He blesses our socks off! Click to Tweet
Why I’m Going To WoVOCon 2
- Surround yourself with like-minded people who will support your dream and build you up.
- Investments in yourself, your business and your future always produce extraordinary ROI.
Those two pieces of advice were the deciding factor in my final decision. Call it practicing what I preach!
The idea of spending a couple of days surrounded by voice over professionals that are all trying to learn and build and grow their businesses excites me.
Having the opportunity to learn from some of the most talented and respected people in our industry fires me up.
Where There’s A Will
I’m just like you… I’ve got a voice over dream. I want to continue to grow my business. I want to succeed. I’ve got big goals and great hope for a prosperous and abundant future.
It would’ve been easy for me to justify skipping out. As I already mentioned, the exchange rate alone right now is a great excuse! Thing is, you don’t build a dream on excuses. You build a dream on actions. Part of the entrepreneurial spirit is taking a problem and finding a solution.
That’s what I did. I didn’t make excuses. I found a way to get my butt to Vegas! With a decision, a little creative thinking, and a whole lot of favour from God, this trip is happening.
What is it you want to do? What goal? What dream?
What’s holding you back? What excuses are you feeding yourself? What obstacles are you allowing to hold yourself back?
I’m living proof that when you cast all of that aside and open up the door for the impossible, it’s not too long before you’re pointed in a direction that makes it possible.