I read a quote on Twitter last night that really struck a chord with me.
“Run your business like you are the best at what you do!” Terry Daniel (@voiceoversbytd)
If you spend all your time submitting auditions and looking for that next great gig, it could be easy to lose sight of the fact that beneath the layers, you’re still running a business. You are an entrepreneur who offers a service. Your service just happens to be your voice.
There is no pretty packaging. No assembly line. No front counter. But it doesn’t change the fact that what you do, what we do, as a Voice Talent is still a business. We need to always remember to treat it that way.
Here are 5 things we all need to be reminded of from time to time when it comes to running our business.
1) Clients are customers. Respect them.
2) People are paying for your services. Deliver nothing less than your best each and every time.
3) Do what you say you’ll do when you say you’ll do it.
4) Deadlines matter. An extra day, or even an extra hour, can make a huge difference to your client. Don’t make them wait.
5) Be professional. Clients will do their research. The Internet is forever. Will they like what they find when they Google you? And trust me… they will Google you!
I may never be the number one male voice talent out there for hire, but I assure you that I will be the best one I can be. I never want a client to walk away regretting having hired me for their project. I never want to see that negative piece of feedback on Twitter or LinkedIn that spreads throughout their network and mine.
I will always run my business like I’m the best at what I do!