I read a lot. I talk about it here often. I talk about it on Twitter and Facebook often.
One of the questions I get asked the most, that has nothing directly to do with voice over is, “what books do you recommend I read?” For some reason, despite being asked this question often, I’ve never actually got around to posting a list.
To share a comprehensive list would take a rather lengthy post. One that would be out of a date on a weekly basis. That’s what I’ve decided to pick five of my favourites to start.
5 Must Read Books To Assist In Your Voice Over Success
1) Think and Grow Rich – This classic by Napoleon Hill is so chocked full of information that you’ll want to read it over and over and over again. I have! Make sure you take lots of notes. Oh, and if you’re sceptical… let me just add this note. By August of 2013… I had surpassed my income from all of 2012.
2) How To Win Friends and Influence People – Another classic book, this one from Dale Carnegie. It’s amazing how, despite being first published in 1936, the information is as relevant today as it was back then. This is another one I’d recommend reading at least annually. There’s far too much information to absorb in a couple readings.
3) The Traveler’s Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success – I can’t recall how I first heard about this book. I think it was from reading something by another author. Regardless, this is a gem I’m so glad to have found. Though fictional, which I’m not usually a fan of, the life lessons in this quick and easy read are timeless.
4) The Richest Man in Babylon – I’m not going to lie to you, financially, I’ve always been a bit of a mess. Well, that is, up until I read this book. It’s another fictional publication, but filled with the most valuable financial lessons you’ll ever read. As you read them you’ll think to yourself, “this is so basic.” If you’re like me, you’ll follow that thought with, “why haven’t I ever done this before?!”
5) As A Men Thinketh – At just 28 pages, you’ll read this book in an hour. But I promise you this, it’ll be one of the best hours you’ll spend all week! I absolutely believe that our thoughts have a profound impact on how we live our lives and whether we know success or failure, abundance or famine. Learn how to master your thoughts and you will change your life!